Monday, August 11, 2008

A Quick Orange Sorbet


Orange Sorbet In Cup
Originally uploaded by gelato.maker
Made Some orange sorbet today. I am quite happy with this batch. It has just the right amount of sugar to inhibit the formation of ice crystals without being too sweet.


Ingredients
2 1/2 cups water 
1 cup sugar 
Orange rind strips from 2 oranges 
2 2/3 cups fresh orange juice 
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice

Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan, and bring mixture to a boil. Add orange rind strips; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove and discard orange rind strips. Remove liquid from heat, and let cool completely. Stir in orange juice and lemon juice.
Pour mixture into freezer container of a 4-quart hand-turned or electric freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Pack freezer with additional ice and rock salt; let mixture stand in freezer 1 hour before serving.

Things I didn't know before today
Adding a little milk powder helps prevent your sorbet from becoming icy

5 comments:

red fir said...

hello! What flavors are available at your stall? Sounds cool. Could you do a post on the flavors? I'm keen to go down soon. :)

Are your ice creams eggless too?

gelatoadventures said...

Thanks for the suggestion thats a good one. I have been so caught up with trying to get things running smoothly that I forgot the most important thing of all. I will try to include photos of the available flavors in the coming post.

Whats in the gelato display at the moment are:

Chocolate
Green tea
Chempadek sorbet
Orange sorbet
Black sesame
Strawberry
Milk tea
Kahlua
Lychee sorbet
Rum and raisin
Cookies and cream
Peanut

red fir said...

Hello! I went down to your stall today to try your gelato! Some flavors are really good while others need some fine-tuning. :) I love the black sesame and peanut. They are both very fragrant! My friend thought so too! The chempedak & coconut sorbet wasn't too good unfortunately. It's got quite an unpleasant coconut oil aftertaste.

I just reviewed your stall if you'd like to read it here.

Auntie is a really nice and sweet lady. I may wish to go down again this Sunday. :)

gelatoadventures said...

Hey! thanks for the feedback. Will remove the chempadek from the gelato display right away.

It's nice to get feedback I hate to say it but sometimes after tasting all the ice cream that we make before freezing, after freezing, before sticking it in the display, my tastebuds get a bit numb.

The aunty said that somebody was taking photos today. OOh its you :)

Oh by the way we just made cola gelato which we will replace the chemadek with. Okay I don't think authentic gelaterias have cola gelato but thought we would try something fun.(It tastes like a cola float).

Thanks for the review I enjoyed looking at the pictures.

red fir said...

Cola float gelato? Sounds delicious already! I'm ready for it. :) Will it be available for the next few days? Coz the next time I go would probably be on Sunday and I'm so keen to try! New flavors are always welcome.

I love the black sesame!