Friday, August 8, 2008

Chalking the board


chalk sign
Originally uploaded by gelato.maker
Finally got around to having the time to chalk up a signboard. Anyway its half completed but here is the work in progress. I am sorta stuck with what color should the ice cream in the cup be. Black ice cream doesnt seem appealing although the idea of black sesame is heavenly.

The board is made with plenty of messy scribbles when viewed close. So I guess it gives people something to look at if they are close to it and waiting for their ice cream.

Chalking tips (I didnt know before today)
1. Layer a base coat of fixative before working.
2. Spray fixative as you work to prevent your colours from blending as you lay down different colours.
3. Workable fixative while you work and a sealer when you are done.
4. Put down the dark colours before the light colours.


ice cream sign board
Originally uploaded by gelato.maker



ice cream sign board
Originally uploaded by gelato.maker



1 comment:

Kristin - The Goat said...

I have no idea how to seal a finished chalkboard piece. My first thought was a spraycan of Polyurethane. But I would test on a small chalkboard first. My suggestion to you, is to ask at a location where you see a sealed chalkboard...ask what they did.

I'm sure you've looked online for info - probably that's how you found me!

I like the way your chalkboard is looking - it will be great.


Thanks for stopping by my place!