Tuesday, September 23, 2008

We have been burgled! Can I go on holiday now?


Work is like a badly rolled popiah(bursting at the seams)
I have to apologize for not being current with my posting but taking three weeks leave to get this little store started has resulted in real work piling up and bursting at the seams. But there is nothing better than some excitement at the store to add to our list of experiences.

9 missed calls from the ice cream store on a monday(we are closed on mondays). I thought the hibernating gelato must have been disturbed by a power trip. But we were in for more excitement. It appears that we had a surprise visitor the night before. We have been burgled!

We have been burgled and what's the first thing that came to my mind?
My immediate thoughts went along the lines of, "have I got enough leave left to take a holiday if we cant continue operation?". Yes, being a hawker takes that much out of you. Even a part time one. So kids, your parents were not lying when they said "you will have a hard life being a hawker if you dont study". Parents if your kids don't believe you, IM them the link to this blog. On the other hand, I studied like a book worm on crack and here I am hawking.

Then came the realization that, it took 10 china nationals 3 hours to get the gelato display cabinet over the bolted down hawker centre tables to where its currently sitting and 3 people to heave the  gelato maker to it's current position. All hopes of a holiday immediately vaporized.


Poor guy robbing the wrong store.
Okay why would anyone burgle a gelato store that charges 2 dollars a cup? Don't they realize that all the money would have gone into the ingredients, the workers salary and the crazy electricity bill that at the end of the day, It's the other job thats subsidizing the ice cream store? Okay I guess if I fell on hard times I probably won't be thinking too straight too. 

Anyway the guy who left his converse shoe prints(on the chest freezer) must really need the money to go through all that trouble. But I am thankful that he is not a malicious burglar who could have gotten upset after prying open an empty cash register and created bigger mess. Guess he is just someone who just happens to need some money, and who doesn't these days.

We don't make enough money to be worth any burgler's while but we are rich with experiences gathered and the people we have been able to come in contact with from all walks of life is invaluable. 

Whoever he is, I hope he gets his life sorted out. 

3 comments:

red fir said...

Is everything all right now? I hope your stall is in operation coz I'm popping by tomorrow. Hope auntie got over the shock though.

mortified_penguin said...

oh no! i saw leslie's review on his blog and was already considering dropping by tmr to try out ur goodies, only to find out this piece of bad news. hope business will resume as normal soon!

gelatoadventures said...

Aunty has gotten over the shock quite quickly. I think she is quite used to things like this. She warned me of theft when we first started the shop. So we never kept any cash on the premises from the first day.

Yes the store is back to normal operation and everything is back in place. Thanks for all the continued support.